Secondary students break the mold of traditional school productions as they turn their auditorium into a world-class opera house.
Arts and education meet at our In-School Opera Workshops. Ten weeks spent with LA Opera artists fly by as students sharpen their performance skills and perform a full-scale opera (and master some Common Core and VAPA standards, too).
Things to know:
- Students perform on stage with professional opera singers, dancers, sets, lighting and stage crew from LA Opera.
- Covers Common Core Standards and VAPA standards.
- Workshops are once a week for 10 weeks, for one class period (between 9am and 3pm). Performances will occur on one day.
- Extensive teaching materials and lesson plans are provided to connect the program to literature, social science, history, world cultures and language skills.
- Teachers must attend a required orientation via Zoom.
- Enrollment is open for up to 10 schools within a 30-mile radius of the Music Center.
- Maximum of 50 students per school.
- The in-person school participation fee is $1,500.
Check back soon for more information about next season.
Click here to contact us via email or call 213.972.3157.
Generous Support for Elementary In-School Opera from
The Music Man Foundation
The Kenneth T. and Eileen L. Norris Foundation
Sidney Stern Memorial Trust
John and Beverly Stauffer Foundation